(2 syl.) means simply “from smoke” (Latin, per fumum),
the first perfumes having been obtained by the combustion of aromatic
woods and gums. Their original use was in sacrifices, to counteract the
offensive odours of the burning flesh.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Perfume from Fact Monster:
- perfume - perfume perfume, aroma produced by the essential oils of plants and by synthetic aromatics. The ...
- Fashion Timeline - Fashion timeline from the first haute couture house in 1858 to the present.
- Easily Confused Words - Easily Confused Words allusion / illusion Allusion is a noun that means an indirect reference: ...
- ylang-ylang - ylang-ylang ylang-ylang , perfume oil obtained by distillation of the fragrant flowers of Cananga ...
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) PRUNE : WRINKLED :: _____ : fragrant Hint sharp shouting perfume Word Quiz ...