To perk oneself. To plume oneself on anything. (Welsh, percu, to smarten or plume feathers, perc, neat.)
You begin to perk up a bit
—i.e. to get a little fatter and more plump after an
illness. (See above.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Perk from Fact Monster:
- Rolling Stones - Rolling Stones Rolling Stones, English rock music group that rose to prominence in the mid-1960s ...
- Current Government Officials: Malawi - World > Heads of State Info Malawi Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments ...
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley - Biography of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, The model who also stars in the film Transformers 3
- oral history - oral history oral history, compilation of historical data through interviews, usually tape-recorded ...
- Peter Jackson - Peter Jackson, director of the Lord of the Rings films