is Celtic for a bush. The county of Perth is the county of
Fair Maid of Perth.
Catherine Glover, daughter of Simon Glover, glover, of Perth. Her
lover is Henry Gow, alias Henry Smith, alias Gow Chrom, alias Hal of the Wynd, the armourer, foster-son of Dame Shoolbred.
(Sir Walter Scott: Fair Maid of Perth.
The Five Articles of Perth were those passed in 1618 by order of
James VI., enjoining the attitude of kneeling to receive the elements;
the observance of Christmas, Good Friday, Easter, and Pentecost; the
right of confirmation, etc. They were ratified August 4, 1621, called Black Saturday, and condemned in the General Assembly of Glasgow in
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Perth from Fact Monster:
- Perth, city, Australia - Perth Perth, city (1991 pop. 1,018,702), capital of Western Australia, SW Australia, on the Swan ...
- Jacques Boucher de Crèvecœur de Perthes - Boucher de Crèvecœur de Perthes, Jacques Boucher de Crèvecœur de Perthes, ...
- Perth, James Eric Drummond, 16th earl of - Perth, James Eric Drummond, 16th earl of Perth, James Eric Drummond, 16th earl of, 1876–1951, ...
- Perth, former county, Scotland - Perth Perth, former county, Scotland: see Perthshire.
- Perth, town, Scotland - Perth Perth, town (1991 pop. 41,916), Perth and Kinross, central Scotland, on the Tay River. It was ...