Peter the Great
of Russia built St. Petersburg, and gave Russia a place among
the nations of Europe. He laid aside his crown and sceptre, came to
England, and worked as a common labourer in our dockyards, that he
might teach his subjects how to build ships.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Peter the Great from Fact Monster:
- Peter the Great - Biography of Peter the Great, The czar who modernized 18th century Russia
- Peter III, king of Aragón and king of Sicily - Peter III Peter III (Peter the Great), 1239?–1285, king of Aragón and count of ...
- Peter I, czar of Russia - Peter I Peter I or Peter the Great,1672–1725, czar of Russia (1682–1725), major figure ...
- Peter the Great - Peter the Great: Peter the Great: see Peter I.
- June 9 Birthdays: Peter the Great - June 9 birthdays: Peter the Great, Natalie Portman, Michael J. Fox, Bertha Suttner, Robert McNamara, Cole Porter, Johnny Depp