Said to live a certain number of years, when it makes in Arabia
a nest of spices, sings a melodious dirge, flaps his wings to set fire
to the pile, burns itself to ashes, and comes forth with new life, to
repeat the former one. (See Phoenix Period.)
The enchanted pile of that lonely bird,
Who sings at the last his own death-lay,
And in music and perfume dies away.
Thomas Moore: Paradisc and the Pert.
Phoenix, as a sign over chemists' shops, was adopted from the
association of this fabulous bird with alchemy. Paracelsus wrote about
it, and several of the alchemists employed it to symbolise their
A phoenix among women. A phoenix of his kind.
A paragon, unique; because there was but one phoenix at a time.
If she be furnished with a mind so rare,
She is alone the Arabian bird.
Shakespeare: Cymbeline, 1.7. The Spanish Phoenix. Lope de Vega is so called by G. H.
Insigne poeta, a cuyo verso o prosa
Ninguno le aventaja ni aun Mega.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Phoenix from Fact Monster:
- Phenice - Phenice Phenice , in the New Testament. 1. Same as Phoenicia. 2. Harbor, SW Crete. It was also ...
- Joaquin Phoenix - Joaquin Phoenix actor Born: 10/28/1974 Birthplace: San Juan, Puerto Rico Phoenix began acting at ...
- Phoenix, Ariz. - Information on Phoenix, Ariz. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - The newest Harry Potter book
- Joaquin Phoenix - Biography of Joaquin Phoenix, The guy who played Johnny Cash in Walk the Line