The Pied Piper. (See Pied.) Who's to pay the piper? (See Pay.) Tom Piper. So the piper is called in the morris dance.
There is apparently another Tom Piper, referred to by Drayton and
others, of whom nothing is now known. He seems to have been a sort of
Mother Goose, or raconteur of short tales
Tom Piper is gone out, and mirth bewall's,
He never will come in to tell us tales.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Piper from Fact Monster:
- William Piper - William Piper airplane manufacturer Born: 1/8/1881 Birthplace: Knapps Creek, N.Y. Called “the ...
- Pied Piper of Hamelin - Pied Piper of Hamelin Pied Piper of Hamelin, legendary figure of Hameln, Germany. He rid the town ...
- Private Planes: Piper Cub - "Flies like a Cub" is still the pilot's ultimate compliment for an airplane
- William PIPER - PIPER, William (1774—1852) PIPER, William, a Representative from Pennsylvania; born at Bloody ...
- Tongue Twisters - Tongue Twisters Twenty Tongue-Tying Tongue Twisters to Twist Your Tongue a Ton brought to you by ...