A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. Some casual influence
has dropped good seed, which has taken root and beareth fruit to
perfection. The words are the title of a dramatic poem by Robert
Browning. Pippa is a chaste-minded, light-hearted peasant maiden, who
resolves to enjoy New Year's Day, her only holiday. Various groups of
persons overhear her as she passes-by singing her innocent ditties,
and some of her stray words, falling into their hearts, act with secret
but sure influence for good. (1842.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pippa Passes from Fact Monster:
- closet drama - closet drama closet drama, a play that is meant to be read rather than performed. Precursors of the ...
- Robert Browning - Biography of Robert Browning, Victorian poet and husband of Elizabeth Barrett
- Information Please: 1909 - 1909 Previous Year | Next Year World | U.S. | Economics | Sports | Entertainment | Science Year by ...
- Robert Browning - Browning, Robert Browning, Robert, 1812–89, English poet. His remarkably broad and sound ...
- Movie Timeline - Movie Timeline 1889 William Kennedy Laurie Dickson, commissioned by Thomas Alva Edison, builds the ...