from planta gemeta (broom-plant), the family cognisance
first assumed by the Earl of Anjou, the first of his race, during a
pilgrimage to the Holy Land, as a symbol of humility. (Sir George
) Died 1622.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Plantagenet from Fact Monster:
- Angevin - Angevin Angevin [Fr.,=of Anjou], name of two medieval dynasties originating in France. The first ...
- Plantagenet - Plantagenet: Plantagenet: see Angevin.
- Geoffrey Plantagenet - Geoffrey Plantagenet: Geoffrey Plantagenet: see Geoffrey IV.
- Geoffrey IV - Geoffrey IV Geoffrey IV, known as Geoffrey Plantagenet[O.Fr.,=sprig of broom; he usually wore a ...
- United Kingdom - Information on United Kingdom — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.