(A). A race in which a prize is given out of the race
fund, or from some other source, without any stakes being made
by the owners of the horses engaged. Usually entrance money is
required. (See Sweepstakes, Handicap, Plate, Selling Race,
Plate, meaning silver, in the Spanish plata.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Plate from Fact Monster:
- plating - plating plating, application of a plate, or coat, of metal to a surface for decoration, reflection ...
- plate - plate: plate: see electron tube.
- Río de la Plata - Plata, Río de la Plata, Río de la , estuary, c.170 mi (270 km) long, SE South ...
- Continental Drift and Plate-Tectonics Theory - Continental Drift and Plate-Tectonics Theory Source: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Geological Survey ...
- River Plate - Plate, River: Plate, River: see Plata, Río de la.