or Plates of Ment. Slang for feet. One of the chief
sources of slang is rhyme. Thus meat rhymes with feet, and
“warming my plates” is slang for warming my fect. Similarly, “Pory
O'More” is slang for door, and “there came a knock at the Rory O'More” means there was a knock at the door. A prescott is slang for waistcoat
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Plates from Fact Monster:
- plating - plating plating, application of a plate, or coat, of metal to a surface for decoration, reflection ...
- plate - plate: plate: see electron tube.
- Río de la Plata - Plata, Río de la Plata, Río de la , estuary, c.170 mi (270 km) long, SE South ...
- Continental Drift and Plate-Tectonics Theory - Continental Drift and Plate-Tectonics Theory Source: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Geological Survey ...
- River Plate - Plate, River: Plate, River: see Plata, Río de la.