His original name was Aristocles, but he was called Platon from the great breadth of his shoulders.
The German Plato.
Friedrich Heinrich Jacobi (1743-1819). The Jewish Plato.
Philo Judaeus, an Alexandrine philosopher. (Flourished 20-40.) The
John Howe, the Nonconformist (1630-1706).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Plato from Fact Monster:
- Plato - Plato Plato , 427?–347 B.C., Greek philosopher. Plato's teachings have been among the ...
- Plato - Biography of Plato, The ancient philosopher who wrote The Republic
- Atlantis—Myth or History? - Plato's history—is it myth or reality?
- Plato: Bibliography - Bibliography See translation of the dialogues by B. Jowett, ed. by D. J. Allan and H. E. Daley (4 ...
- Plato: Life - Life After pursuing the liberal studies of his day, he became in 407 B.C. a pupil and friend of ...