(diminutive of poche, a pouch).
To put one's hand in one's pocket.
To give money (generally to some charity). Put your pride in
Lay your pride aside for the nonce.
To be in pocket. To be a gainer by some transaction. To be out of
pocket. To be a loser by some transaction.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pocket from Fact Monster:
- pocket mouse - pocket mouse pocket mouse, small jumping rodent of W North America and as far south as N South ...
- pocket gopher - pocket gopher: pocket gopher: see gopher.
- gopher - gopher gopher or pocket gopher,name for the burrowing rodents of the family Geomyidae, found in ...
- Why does a bruise turn colors? - Why does a bruise turn colors? A bruise is actually a pocket of blood under the skin caused by a ...
- Henri Richard - Henri Richard Born: Feb. 29, 1936 Hockey C leap year baby who played on more Stanley Cup ...