(diminutive of poche, a pouch).
To put one's hand in one's pocket.
To give money (generally to some charity). Put your pride in
your pocket. Lay your pride aside for the nonce.
To be in pocket. To be a gainer by some transaction. To be out of
pocket. To be a loser by some transaction.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pocket from Fact Monster:
- pocket mouse - pocket mouse pocket mouse, small jumping rodent of W North America and as far south as N South ...
- pocket gopher - pocket gopher: pocket gopher: see gopher.
- gopher - gopher gopher or pocket gopher,name for the burrowing rodents of the family Geomyidae, found in ...
- Why does a bruise turn colors? - Why does a bruise turn colors? A bruise is actually a pocket of blood under the skin caused by a ...
- Henri Richard - Henri Richard Born: Feb. 29, 1936 Hockey C leap year baby who played on more Stanley Cup ...