appointed by letters patent.
The following are sometimes included, though not appointed by
letters patent:—Chaucer, Gower, John Key, Bernard, Skelton, Rob.
Whittington, Richard Edwards, Spenser, and Sam. Daniel.
(!) Five of the fourteen known only by their names. Three others
quite third-rate poets. The remaining five were distinguished men.
A poet laureate is one who has received a laurel crown. There were
at one time “doctors laureate,” “bachelors laureate,” etc.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Poets Laureate from Fact Monster:
- poet laureate - poet laureate poet laureate , title conferred in Britain by the monarch on a poet whose duty it is ...
- Kay Ryan - Biography of Kay Ryan, The 16th Poet Laureate consultant to the Library of Congress
- National Poetry Month - From Ashbery to Wordsworth, haiku to epic, anapest to terza rima
- Harry Potter Haiku - Harry Potter Haiku by Holly Hartman FROM THE FACTMONSTER: Monster gets the mail likes to read funny ...
- Carol Ann Duffy - Biography of Carol Ann Duffy, The first female poet laureate in British history