Direct. A term in gunnery; when a cannon is so placed that the
line of sight is parallel to the axis and horizontal, the discharge is
point-blank, and is supposed to go direct to the object without a
curve. In French point blanc is the white mark or bull's eye of
a target, to hit which the ball or arrow must not deviate in the least
from the exact path.
“Now art thou within point-blank of our jurisdiction regal.” —Shakespeare: 2 Henry VI. iv. 7.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Point-blank from Fact Monster:
- Minnie Driver - Minnie Driver actress Born: 1/31/1970 Birthplace: England Versatile English actress who has shown ...
- Stanley Cup 1998 - Godzilla takes on the Russians by Mike Morrison Boston's Joe Thornton rifles a slap shot ...
- Jenna Elfman - Jenna Elfman (Jennifer Mary Butala) actress Born: 9/30/1971 Birthplace: Los Angeles Engaging young ...
- Joan Cusack - Joan Cusack comic actress Born: 10/11/1962 Birthplace: New York City Comedic actress known for her ...
- Lee Marvin - Lee Marvin actor Born: 2/19/1924 Birthplace: New York City A World War II veteran and former ...