A plot in the reign of Charles II. to massacre the Protestants,
burn London, and assassinate the king. Titus Oates invented this “wise”
scheme, and obtained great wealth by revealing it; but ultimately he
was pilloried, whipped, and imprisoned. (See Gunpowder Plot.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Popish Plot from Fact Monster:
- Titus Oates - Oates, Titus Oates, Titus, 1649–1705, English conspirator. An Anglican priest whose whole ...
- Popish Plot - Popish Plot: Popish Plot: see Oates, Titus.
- Saint Oliver Plunket - Plunket, Saint Oliver Plunket, Saint Oliver, 1629–81, Irish Roman Catholic churchman and ...
- Lord William Russell - Russell, Lord William Russell, Lord William, 1639–83, English statesman; younger son of the ...
- Sir Edward Petre - Petre, Sir Edward Petre, Sir Edward , 1631–99, English Jesuit, confessor of James II of ...