(The). A philosophic sect generally called Stoics
(Greek, stoa, a porch), because Zeno, the founder, gave his
lectures in the Athenian picture gallery, called the porch Poecile.
“The successors of Socrates formed societies which lasted several
centuries; the Academy, the Porch, the Garden.” —Professor Seeley:
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Porch from Fact Monster:
- Gabbatha - Gabbatha Gabbatha , in the New Testament, yard or porch where Pilate sat in judgment on Jesus.
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) STIFF : INFLEXIBLE :: _____ : porch Hint terrace outdoors waterproof Word ...
- What does it mean? - dilapidated --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format You could tell the house was ...
- What does it mean? - heifer --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Farmer Judy spent an hour looking for ...
- naos - naos naos , inner portion of a Greek temple, enclosed within walls and generally surrounded by ...