I'll powder your jacket for you. A corruption of poudrer (to
dust). (See Dust.)
Lo! in powdur [dust] ye schall slepe,
For out of powdur fyrst ye came.
Quoted by Halliwell under “Poudre.”
Not worth powder and shot. “Le jeu ne vaut pas la chandelle.” The
thing shot won't pay the cost of powder and shot.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Powder from Fact Monster:
- powder - powder powder, any mass of fine particles or dust prepared by various mechanical means, e.g., ...
- bleaching powder - bleaching powder bleaching powder, white or nearly white powder that is usually a mixture of ...
- smokeless powder - smokeless powder: smokeless powder: see explosive.
- Terence Vincent Powderly - Powderly, Terence Vincent Powderly, Terence Vincent, 1849–1924, American labor leader, b. ...
- explosive - explosive explosive, substance that undergoes decomposition or combustion with great rapidity, ...