(1) Each month, according to the Poles, is under the
influence of a precious stone:
(2) In relation to the signs of the Zodiac:-
(3) In relation to the planets.-
The ancients divided precious stones into male and female. The
darker stones were called the male, and the light ones were called the
females. Male sapphires approach indigo in colour, but the female ones
sky-blue. Theophartos mentions the distinction.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Precious Stones from Fact Monster:
- precious stone - precious stone: precious stone: see gem.
- precious stones - stones, precious: stones, precious: see gem.
- jewelry: The Ancient World - The Ancient World The wearing of jewelry has very ancient roots. The oldest examples discovered to ...
- Ratnapura - Ratnapura Ratnapura [Sinhalese,=city of gems], town (1995 est. pop. 46,000), SW Sri Lanka. Located ...
- Ophir - Ophir Ophir , in the Bible. 1. Seaport or region from which the ships of Solomon brought fine gold ...