(The). Ay-e'shah, the second wife of Mahomet; so
called, not because she had any gift of prophecy, but simply because
she was the favourite wife of the “prophet;” she was, therefore,
emphatically “Mrs. Prophet.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Prophetess from Fact Monster:
- Phanuel - Phanuel Phanuel , in the New Testament, father of Anna the prophetess.
- Anna, in the Bible - Anna Anna , [Gr.,=Heb. Hannah], in the Bible. 1. Aged prophetess who hailed Jesus' presentation ...
- Huldah - Huldah Huldah , in the Bible, prophetess, consulted by Josiah, King of Judah (640–609 B.C.) ...
- Jezebel - Jezebel Jezebel , in the First Book of Kings, Phoenician princess who was the wife of King Ahab and ...
- Deborah - Deborah Deborah , in the Bible, prophetess and judge of Israel, the only woman to hold that office. ...