The first rough draft or original copy of a despatch, which is
to form the basis of a treaty. (Greek, proto-koleon, a sheet
glued to the front of a manuscript, and bearing an abstract of the
contents and purport. (Harmolaus Barbarus.)
<Protoplasm, Sarcode The material or cells of which all living things
are built up. Each is a jelly-like substance, the former being the
nucleus of plants and the latter of animals. Max Schultz proved the
identity of these substances.
Protoplasm is not a simple but a complicated structure, sometimes
called a “colony of plasts,” or nuclear granules. (Greek, proto-plasma, the first model; proto-sarkodes, the first
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Protocol from Fact Monster:
- protocol - protocol protocol , term referring to rules governing diplomatic conduct or to a variety of written ...
- Geneva Protocol - Geneva Protocol: Geneva Protocol: see protocol.
- Montreal Protocol - Montreal Protocol Montreal Protocol, officially the Protocol on Substances That Deplete the Ozone ...
- Protocols of the Elders of Zion - Protocols of the Elders of Zion Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a fraudulent document that ...
- When and How to Display the U.S. Flag - The United States Flag Code stipulates that as the symbol of a living country, the flag is considered in itself a living thing. These regulations outline the proper ways to display the American flag.