P's and Q's
Mind your P's and Q's. Be very circumspect in your behaviour.
Several explanations have been suggested, but none seems to be wholly
satisfactory. The following comes nearest to the point of the
caution:- In the reign of Louis XIV., when wigs of unwieldy size were
worn, and bows were made with very great formality; two things were
specially required, a “step” with the feet, and a low bend of the body.
In the latter the wig would be very apt to get deranged, and even to
fall off. The caution, therefore, of the French dancing-master to his
pupils was, “Mind your P's [i.e. pieds, feet] and Q's
[i.e. queues, wigs].”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on P's and Q's from Fact Monster:
- Entertainment Biographies - Entertainment Biographies A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U-V W X-Z Fact ...
- More Features - Recent Features Cool Stuff | Math | People | Science | Sports | United States | Word Wise | World ...
- People: Biography, presidents, African Americans, women, entertainers, and athletes - Biographies of notable African Americans, world leaders, women, writers, artists, athletes, and U.S. presidents, how to write a biography, and more
- Morse Code (table) - Morse Code International Morse Code Letters A · – B – · · · ...
- Selected Biographies: X - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters