To sift, to extract information by indirect questions. In
allusion to pumping up water.
“But pump not me for politics.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pump from Fact Monster:
- pump - pump pump, device to lift, transfer, or increase the pressure of a fluid (gas or liquid) or to ...
- vacuum - vacuum vacuum, theoretically, space without matter in it. A perfect vacuum has never been obtained; ...
- air conditioning - air conditioning air conditioning, mechanical process for controlling the humidity, temperature, ...
- heat pump - heat pump: heat pump: see air conditioning.
- Broadcasting Glossary - Broadcasting Glossary addressable converter A cable television box that can be supplied with ...