is the Welsh pun, equivalent; it means a word equally
applicable to two things. The application should be remote and odd in
order to give piquancy to the play. (See Calembourg.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pun from Fact Monster:
- pun - pun pun, use of words, usually humorous, based on (a) the several meanings of one word, (b) a ...
- Monster Jokes - Silly jokes about special beasties
- Doctor Jokes - Excellent and silly jokes
- Mara - Mara Mara [Heb.,=bitter], in the Bible, punning name taken by Naomi out of sorrow.
- Aphrah - Aphrah Aphrah , in the punning passage of the Book of Micah, apparently the name of a town. The ...