To grant quarter. To spare the life of an enemy in your power.
Dr. Tusler says:- “It originated from an agreement anciently made
between the Dutch and the Spaniards, that the ransom of a soldier
should be the quarter of his pay.” (French, donner and demander quartier.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Quarter from Fact Monster:
- The Quarter Gets Changed - A new quarter for every state
- quarter horse - quarter horse quarter horse, American breed of light horse that originated during the colonial era, ...
- Money: Coins, money around the world, the stock market - Find facts about money on topics like public debt, inflation, depressions, exchange rates, budgets, inequality, allowances, facelifts, savings, and more.
- The 50 State Quarters Program Act - The 50 State Quarters Program Act The 50 State Quarters Program Act began in 1999 and ran through ...
- U.S. Coins in Circulation - U.S. Coins in Circulation Denomination Cent Nickel Dime Quarter Half Dollar Golden Dollar Obverse ...