(Oxford), founded in 1340 by Robert de Eglesfield, and so
called in compliment to Queen Philippa, whose confessor he was.
(Cambridge), founded in 1448 by Margaret of Anjou, consort of Henry
VI. Refounded by Elizabeth Woodville.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Queen's College from Fact Monster:
- City University of New York - New York, City University of New York, City University of (CUNY), at New York City; created in 1961 ...
- Queens College - Queens College: Queens College: see New York, City Univ. of.
- Rutgers University - Rutgers University Rutgers University, main campus at New Brunswick, N.J.; land-grant and state ...
- Queen's University - Queen's University Queen's University, at Kingston, Ont., Canada; nondenominational; ...
- George Boole - Boole, George Boole, George, 1815–64, English mathematician and logician. He became professor ...