(Don) is intended for the Duke of Lerma. (Rawdon
The romance so called is a merciless satire by Cervantes on the
chivalric romances of the Middle Ages, and had the excellent effect of
putting an end to knight-errantry.
Don Quixote's horse.
Rosinante (Spanish, rocin-ante,
a jade previously). (See
Horse.) The wooden-pin wing-horse on which he and Sancho Panza
mounted to achieve the liberation of Dolorida and her companions was
called Algiero Clavileno (wooden-pin wing-bearer
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Quixote from Fact Monster:
- Don Quixote de la Mancha - Don Quixote de la Mancha: Don Quixote de la Mancha: see Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de.
- Don Quixote - Biography of Don Quixote, The crazy knight who tilted at windmills
- Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra - Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de , 1547–1616, Spanish novelist, ...
- El Toboso - Toboso, El Toboso, El , town, Toledo prov., central Spain, in Castile–La Mancha. It is an ...
- Alonso Fernández de Avellaneda - Avellaneda, Alonso Fernández de Avellaneda, Alonso Fernández de , pen name used by ...