Such a number of persons as are necessary to make up a
committee or board; or certain justices without the presence of whom
the rest cannot act. Thus, suppose the commission to be named A, B, C,
D, E, etc., it would run- “Of these I wish [A, B, C, D, or E] to be
one” (quorum unum esse volumus). These honoured names are called
“Justices of the Quorum.” Slender calls Justice Shallow justice of the
peace and quorum. (Shakespeare Merry Wives of Windsor, i. 1.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Quorum from Fact Monster:
- Robert MARION - MARION, Robert (1766—1811) MARION, Robert, a Representative from South Carolina; born 1766 in ...
- Wilson NESBITT - NESBITT, Wilson (Birthdateunknown—1861) NESBITT, Wilson, a Representative from South ...
- Silas LEE - LEE, Silas (1760—1814) LEE, Silas, a Representative from Massachusetts; born in Concord, ...
- Jewish liturgy - liturgy, Jewish liturgy, Jewish, rites, observances, and procedures of Judaism. Communal prayer, ...
- Abdullah Gül - Gül, Abdullah Gül, Abdullah , 1950–, Turkish politician, grad. Istanbul Univ. ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring