The ninth month of the Mahometan year, and the Mussulman's Lent
or Holy Month.
“November is the financial Ramadan of the Sublime Porte.” —The
That is, when the Turkish Government promises all kinds of financial
reforms and curtailments of national expenses.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ramadan from Fact Monster:
- Islam Glossary - Important figures, branches, and tradition
- Ramadan - Ramadan Ramadan , in Islam, the ninth month of the Muslim year, during which all Muslims must fast ...
- Islam - Islam Islam was founded in Arabia by Muhammed between A.D. 610 and A.D. 632. There are an estimated ...
- Islamic Holidays (Ramadan, Muharram, Mawlid al-Nabi, and more) - Read about the Major Islamic holidays for Muslims around the world.
- Holidays - Homework Center – Frequently Asked Questions Holidays What holidays do they celebrate around ...