(3 syl.). The title of an ancient Egyptian dynasty; it means Offspring of the Sun. This title was first assumed towards the
close of the Eighteenth Dynasty, and ran through the Nineteenth.
Rameses III. is called Rhampsinitos by Herodotos. Sesostris is supposed
to be identical with Rameses the Great. (Eses, i.e. Isis.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rameses from Fact Monster:
- Raamses - Raamses Raamses , in the Bible, city of the eastern delta of Egypt, built by Hebrew slave labor. It ...
- Rameses - Rameses Rameses or Ramesses:see Ramses. For Rameses in the Bible, see Raamses.
- Charles Harris Whitaker - Whitaker, Charles Harris Whitaker, Charles Harris , 1872–1938, American architect and author, ...
- The Ten Commandments (1956) - Starring Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Anne Baxter, Edward G. Robinson, Yvonne De Carlo
- Encyclopedia: Ancient History, Egypt: Biographies - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Ancient History, Egypt: Biographies.