The sociable archangel who travelled with Tobias into Media and
back again, instructing him on the way how to marry Sara and to drive
away the wicked spirit. Milton introduces him as sent by God to
advertise Adam of his danger. (See Seven Spirits.)
Raphael, the sociable spirit, hath deigned
To travel with Tobias, and secured
His marriage with the seven-times-wedded maid.
Paradise Lost, v. 221-3.
according to Longfellow, is the angel of the Sun, who brings to man
the “gift of faith.”
I am the angel of the Sun,
Whose flaming wheels began to run
When God Almighty's breath
Said to the darkness and the night,
`Let there be light,' and there was light,
I bring the gift of faith.
Golden Legend: The Miracle Play. iii.
the archangel, is usually distinguished in Christian art by a
pilgrim's staff, or carrying a fish, in allusion to his aiding Tobias
to capture the fish which performed the miraculous cure of his father's
The French Raphael.
Eustace Lesueur (1617-1655).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Raphael from Fact Monster:
- Raphael - Raphael Raphael , archangel. He is prominent in the book of Tobit, as the companion of Tobias, as ...
- Samson Raphael Hirsch - Hirsch, Samson Raphael Hirsch, Samson Raphael, 1808–88, German rabbi and chief exponent of ...
- Morris Raphael Cohen - Cohen, Morris Raphael Cohen, Morris Raphael, 1880–1947, American philosopher, b. Minsk, ...
- April 6 Birthdays: Raphael Santi - April 6 birthdays: Raphael Santi, Andre Previn, Anthony Fokker, James Mill
- Saint-Raphaël - Saint-Raphaël Saint-Raphaël , town (1990 pop. 26,799), Var dept., SE France, on the ...