or Read (Simon), alluded to by Ben Jonson in the Alchemist, i. 2, was Simon Read, of St. George's, Southwark,
professor of physic. Rymer, in his Foedera, vol. xvi., says, “he
was indicted for invoking evil
spirits in order to find out the name of a person who, in 1608, stole
37 10s. from Tobias Mathews, of St. Mary Steynings, London.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Read from Fact Monster:
- reading, mental process - reading reading, process of mentally interpreting written symbols. Facility in reading is an ...
- Charles Reade - Reade, Charles Reade, Charles, 1814–84, English novelist and dramatist. He is noted for his ...
- Teen Read Week - Teens vote for favorite young adult book.|Pick up a humorous book or a graphic novel and read for the fun of it
- Sir Herbert Read - Read, Sir Herbert Read, Sir Herbert, 1893–1968, English poet and critic. His studies at the ...
- National Family Literacy Day - National Family Literacy Day Turn off your TV, pick up a good book In a 1994 study, only 21% of the ...