(A). (i) In the Roman empire it signified war and
a call to arms. (ii) Hoisted by British seamen, it indicates
that no concession will be made. As a railway signal, it intimates
danger, and warns the engine-driver to stop. (iii) In France, since 1791, it has been the symbol of insurrection and terrorism. (iv)
It is a synonym of Radicalism and Anarchy.
“Mr. Chamberlain sticks to the red flag, and apparently believes in
its ultimate success.” —Newspaper paragraph, January, 1886.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Red Flag from Fact Monster:
- Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag - Starring Captain John
- Ha Jin - Ha Jin novelist, poet Born: 1956 Birthplace: Liaoning Province, China From the age of 14 until he ...
- automobile: Development of the Automobile - Development of the Automobile The automobile has a long history. The French engineer Nicolas Joseph ...
- News Headlines - World News From The Financial Times See Also: This Day in History Todays Birthdays Daily Almanac ...
- What Colors Mean - What Colors Mean We live in a colorful world. In many countries, colors represent various holidays; ...