Drawing a red herring across the path. Trying to divert
attention from the main question by some side-issue. A red herring
drawn across a fox's path destroys the scent and sets the dogs at
Neither fish, flesh, nor good red herring.
Something insipid and not good eating. Neither one thing nor
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Red Herring from Fact Monster:
- Color - Psychology, symbolism, and interesting facts about color.|Find out how color can affect your mood and read other interesting facts about color
- Dorothy Sayers - Biography of Dorothy Sayers, The creator of Lord Peter Wimsey
- herring - herring herring, common name for members of the large, widely distributed family Clupeidae, ...
- Writing Well: How's That Again? Logical Fallacies - Writing Well How's That Again? Logical Fallacies Writing Well Why Not See It My Way?: ...
- Harry S. Truman: Presidency - Presidency On the death (Apr. 12, 1945) of Roosevelt, Truman succeeded to the presidency. He ...