The colour of magic.
“Red is the colour of magic in every country, and has been so from
the very earliest times. The caps of fairies and musicians are
well-nigh always red.” —Yeates: Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish
Peasantry, p. 61.
applied to gold. Hence a gold watch is a “red kettle.”
Thou shewst an honest nature; weepst for thy master;
There's a red rogue to buy the handkerchief.
Beaumont and Fletcher: Mad Lover, v. 4.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Red from Fact Monster:
- Otis Redding - Otis Redding singer, songwriter Born: 9/9/1941 Birthplace: Dawson, GA Legendary soul singer whose ...
- red lead - red lead red lead, bright red to orange-red powder, also called minium, that is used in the ...
- red bug - red bug red bug, name for various red insects. Chief among them are the cotton stainer of the S ...
- Little Red River - Little Red River Little Red River, 105 mi (169 km) long, rising in the Boston Mts., NW Ark., and ...
- Redding - Redding Redding, city (1990 pop. 66,462), seat of Shasta co., N central Calif., on the Sacramento ...