A broken reed. Something not to be trusted for support. Egypt
is called a broken reed, to which Hezekiah could not trust if the
Assyrians made war on Jerusalem, “which broken reed if a man leans on,
it will go into his hand and pierce it.” Reed walking sticks are
A bruised reed,
in Bible language, means a believer weak in grace. A bruised reed
[God] will not break.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Reed from Fact Monster:
- reed - reed reed, name used for several plants of the family Graminae (grass family). The common American ...
- reed instrument - reed instrument reed instrument, in music, an instrument whose sound-producing agent is a thin ...
- Lou Reed - Lou Reed (Lewis Allen Reed) musician, guitarist, singer, song writer Born: 3/ 2/1942 Birthplace: ...
- Joseph Reed - Reed, Joseph Reed, Joseph, 1741–85, American Revolutionary political leader and army officer, ...
- Willis Reed - Willis Reed Born: June 25, 1942 Basketball C led NY Knicks to NBA titles in 1970 and '73, ...