Ready money. (See Nose.) May not this explain the
phrase “paying through the nose” (par le nez), that is, paying
ready rhino. Rhino = money is very old.
Some, as I know,
Have parted with their ready rhino.
The Seaman's Adieu (1670).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rhino from Fact Monster:
- rhinoceros: Bibliography - Bibliography See M. Penny, Rhino (1988); S. Fitzgerald, International Wildlife Trade (1989); F. B. ...
- Science News - News Headlines on Science, Technology, and Nature
- Cedric The Entertainer - Biography of Cedric The Entertainer, Eddie in the Barbershop movies
- Dr. Demento - Biography of Dr. Demento, The veteran radio host who plays wacky novelty songs
- Bolt - Starring John Travolta, Miley Cyrus, Susie Essman, Mark Walton, Malcolm McDowell