Josephus relates how Hiram, King of Tyre, and Solomon had once
a contest in riddles, when Solomon won a large sum of money; but he
subsequently lost it to Abdemon, one of Hiram's subjects.
Plutarch states that Homer died of chagrin because he could not
solve a certain riddle. (See Sphinx.) Father of riddles. So the AbbéCotin dubbed himself, but posterity has not confirmed his
right to the title.
(1604-1682.) (See Ree.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Riddle from Fact Monster:
- riddle - riddle riddle, puzzling question, specifically one that consists of a fanciful description or ...
- Monster Jokes - Silly jokes about special beasties
- Doctor Jokes - Excellent and silly jokes
- Haywood Yancey RIDDLE - RIDDLE, Haywood Yancey (1834—1879) RIDDLE, Haywood Yancey, a Representative from Tennessee; ...
- James Riddle Hoffa - Hoffa, James Riddle Hoffa, James Riddle , 1913–75?, U.S. labor leader, b. Brazil, Indiana. As ...