A Syrian god, whose seat was Damascus.
Him followed Rimmon, whose delightful seat
Was fair Damascus, on the fertile bank
Of Abbana and Pharphar, lucid streaurs.
Milton: Paradise Lost, bk. i. 467.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rimmon from Fact Monster:
- Rimmon - Rimmon Rimmon , in the Bible. 1. Syrian god. 2. Father of the murderers of Ish-bosheth. 3. Rock, E ...
- En-rimmon - En-rimmon En-rimmon , in the Bible, place, reoccupied after the Exile. The same is meant by ...
- Gath-rimmon - Gath-rimmon Gath-rimmon , in the Bible. 1. Town, W central ancient Palestine. 2. Town, central ...
- Remmon - Remmon Remmon : see En-rimmon.
- Dimnah - Dimnah Dimnah , the same as Rimmon 5.