(in Jerusalem Delivered). The Achilles of the Christian
army. “He despises gold and power, but craves renown” (bk. i.). He was
the son of Bertoldo and Sophia, and nephew of Guelpho, but was brought
up by Matilda. At the age of fifteen he ran away and joined the
Crusaders, where he was enrolled in the adventurers' squadron. Having
slain Gernando, he was summoned by Godfrey to public trial, but went
into voluntary exile. The pedigree of Rinaldo, of the noble house of
Este, is traced from Actius on the male side and Augustus on the female
to Actius VI. (bk. xvii.).
(in Orlando Furioso). Son of the fourth Marquis d'Este,
cousin of Orlando, Lord of Mount Auban or Albano, eldest son of Amon or
Aymon, nephew of Charlemagne, and Bradamant's brother. He was the rival
of his cousin Orlando, but Angelica detested him. He was called
“Clarmont's leader,” and brought an auxiliary force of English and
Scotch to Charlemagne, which “Silence” conducted into Paris.
or Renaud, one of the paladins of Charlemagne, is always
painted with the characteristics of a border- valiant, ingenious,
rapacious, and unscrupulous.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rinaldo from Fact Monster:
- Matteo Maria Boiardo - Boiardo or Bojardo, Matteo Maria Boiardo or Bojardo, Matteo Maria , 1441?–1494, Italian poet, ...
- Samuel Ramey - Ramey, Samuel Ramey, Samuel, 1942–, American operatic bass, b. Colby, Kans. He studied music ...
- Titian: Stylistic Periods - Stylistic Periods Titian's work may be divided into three phases. The first is marked by the ...
- Torquato Tasso - Tasso, Torquato Tasso, Torquato , 1544–95, Italian poet, one of the foremost writers and a ...
- March 11 Birthdays: Torquato Tasso - March 11 birthdays: Torquato Tasso, Harold Wilson, Sir Malcolm Campbell, Vannevar Bush, Rupert Murdoch, Antonin Scalia, Ralph Abernathy
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring