To run riot. To act in a very disorderly way. Riot means
debauchery or wild merriment.
“See, Riot her luxurious bowl prepares.”
Tableau of Cebes.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Riot from Fact Monster:
- riot, rout, and unlawful assembly - riot, rout, and unlawful assembly riot, rout, and unlawful assembly, in law, varying degrees of ...
- Gordon riots - Gordon riots: Gordon riots: see Gordon, Lord George.
- draft riots - draft riots draft riots, in the American Civil War, mob action to protest unfair Union ...
- riot-control gas - riot-control gas: riot-control gas: see poison gas; tear gas.
- Haymarket Square riot - Haymarket Square riot Haymarket Square riot, outbreak of violence in Chicago on May 4, 1886. ...