To rule the roast. To have the chief direction; to be
paramount. It is usually thought that “roast” in this phrase means roost, and that the reference is to a cock who decides which hen is
to roost nearest to him, but the subjoined quotation favours the idea
“John, Duke of Burgoyne, ruled the rost, and governed both King
Charles ... and his whole realme.” —Hall: Union (1548).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Roast from Fact Monster:
- roasting - roasting: roasting: see cooking.
- poi - poi poi, slightly fermented, sticky food paste eaten in the Pacific islands, usually accompanied ...
- coffee: Preparation and Types of Coffee - Preparation and Types of Coffee After the outer pulp is removed, coffee seeds are prepared by ...
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Movie: 1 - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Movie Test your knowledge of the newest movie version ...
- macadamia - macadamia macadamia , name for the nut of the Macadamia ternifolia, an evergreen tree native to ...