A quack; so called from one Rock, who was the “Holloway” of
Queen Anne's reign.
Oh, when his nerves had once received a shock,
Sir Isaac Newton might have gone to Rock.
The Ladies' Rock. A crag in Scotland under the castle rock of
Stirling, where ladies used to witness tournaments.
“In the castle hill is a hollow called The Valley about a
square acre in extent, used for justings and tournaments. On the south
side of the valley is a small rocky pyramidical mount, called The
Ladies' Hill or Rock, where the ladies sat to witness the
spectacle.” —Nimmo: History of Stirlingshire, p. 282.
People of the Rock.
The inhabitants of Hejaz or Arabia Petraea. Captain Rock. A
fictitious name assumed by the leader of the Irish insurgents in 1822.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rock from Fact Monster:
- The Rock - The Rock Dwayne Johnson wrestler, actor Born: May 2, 1972 Birthplace: Hayward, California The Rock ...
- Rocks - Rocks Rocks are classified in three types based on how they are formed. Igneous rocks are formed ...
- rock - rock rock, aggregation of solid matter composed of one or more of the minerals forming the ...
- Chris Rock - Chris Rock comedian, actor Born: 2/7/1966 Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York Rock began his career by ...
- rock music - rock music rock music, type of music originating in the United States in the mid-1950s and ...