A quack; so called from one Rock, who was the “Holloway” of
Queen Anne's reign.
Oh, when his nerves had once received a shock,
Sir Isaac Newton might have gone to Rock.
The Ladies' Rock. A crag in Scotland under the castle rock of
Stirling, where ladies used to witness tournaments.
“In the castle hill is a hollow called The Valley about a
square acre in extent, used for justings and tournaments. On the south
side of the valley is a small rocky pyramidical mount, called The
Ladies' Hill or Rock, where the ladies sat to witness the
spectacle.” —Nimmo: History of Stirlingshire, p. 282.
People of the Rock.
The inhabitants of Hejaz or Arabia Petraea. Captain Rock.
fictitious name assumed by the leader of the Irish insurgents in 1822.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rock from Fact Monster:
- The Rock - The Rock Dwayne Johnson wrestler, actor Born: May 2, 1972 Birthplace: Hayward, California The Rock ...
- Rocks - Rocks Rocks are classified in three types based on how they are formed. Igneous rocks are formed ...
- rock - rock rock, aggregation of solid matter composed of one or more of the minerals forming the ...
- Chris Rock - Chris Rock comedian, actor Born: 2/7/1966 Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York Rock began his career by ...
- rock music - rock music rock music, type of music originating in the United States in the mid-1950s and ...