[Chancery Lane, London]. So called from the records kept
there in rolls of parchment. The house was originally built by Henry
III, for converted Jews, and was called “Domus Conversorum.” It was
Edward III, who appropriated the place to the conservation of records.
“Conversi” means laymonks. (Ducange, vol. ii. p. 703.)
A copy of the lost Roll of Arms,
made by Glover, Somerset
herald. It is a roll of the arms borne by Henry III., his princes of
the blood, barons, and knights, between 1216 and 1272.
The Roll of Caerlaverock.
An heraldic poem in Norman-French, reciting the names and arms of
the knights present at the siege of Caerlaverock, in 1300.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894