The name assumed, at the beginning of the nineteenth century,
by a number of young poets and critics in Germany, who wished to limit
poetry and art to romance. Some twenty-five years later Victor Hugo,
Lamartine, and Dumas introduced it into France.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Romantic School from Fact Monster:
- Wappers, Gustave, Baron - Wappers, Gustave, Baron Wappers, Gustave, Baron , 1803–74, Belgian historical and genre ...
- Antônio Gonçalves Dias - Dias, Antônio Gonçalves Dias, Antônio Gonçalves , 1823–64, ...
- Moritz von Schwind - Schwind, Moritz von Schwind, Moritz von , 1804–71, Austrian historical painter and ...
- Guérin, Pierre Narcisse, Baron - Guérin, Pierre Narcisse, Baron Guérin, Pierre Narcisse, Baron , 1774–1833, ...
- José Mármol - Mármol, José Mármol, José , 1817–71, Argentine writer of the ...