or Rota Men. A political club formed in 1651 by
Harrington, author of Oceana. Its objects were to introduce
rotation in office, and voting by ballot. It met at the Turk's Head, in New Palace Yard, Westminster, where the members drew up a popular
form of commonwealth, which will be found in Harrington's Oceana. It was called Rota because a third part of the members were roted
out by ballot every year, and were not eligible for re-election
for three years.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rota from Fact Monster:
- Northern Mariana Islands - Information on Northern Mariana Islands — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Sumer Is Icumen In - Sumer Is Icumen In Sumer Is Icumen In [M.E.,=summer has (literally: is) come in], an English rota ...
- Fencing 2008 - Fencing 2008 Event Foil (Individual, Men) Benjamin Kleibrink, Germany Yuki Ota, Japan Salvatore ...
- cardinal, in the Roman Catholic Church: The Cabinet of the Pope - The Cabinet of the Pope Apart from papal elections, the cardinals have great importance as the ...
- The Road (La strada) - Starring Anthony Quinn, Giulietta Masina, Richard Basehart, Aldo Silvani, Marcella Rovere