(1 syl.). To shoot with roving arrows—i.e. arrows shot
at a roving mark, either in height or distance.
To shoot at rovers.
To shoot at certain marks of the target so called; to shoot at
random without any distinct aim.
“Unbelievers are said by Clobery to `shoot at rovers.” —Divine
Glimpscs, p. 4 (1659).
Running at rovers.
Running wild; being without restraint.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rove from Fact Monster:
- Roving Mars - Starring Paul Newman, Stephen Squyres, Rob Manning, Charles Elachi, Wayne Lee
- Karl Christian Rove - Rove, Karl Christian Rove, Karl Christian, 1950–, U.S. political consultant and government ...
- Karl Rove - Biography of Karl Rove, The chief political advisor to George W. Bush
- April 2006 - April 2006 World Shiite Bloc Urges Prime Minister to Resign (April 2): Leaders of the Supreme ...
- July 2005 - July 2005 World Diplomats Kidnapped in Iraq (July 3): Ihab al-Sharif, who was to become Egypt's ...