The King of Ceylon has the finest ruby ever seen. “It is a span
long, as thick as a man's arm, and without a flaw.” Kublai-Khan
offered the value of a city for it, but the king answered that he would
not part with it if all the treasures of the world were laid at his
feet. (Marco Polo.)
(The). The ancients considered the ruby to be an
antidote of poison, to preserve persons from plague, to banish grief,
to repress the ill effects of luxuries, and to divert the mind from
(The Perfect). The philosopher's stone. (See Flower Of The Sun.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ruby from Fact Monster:
- ruby - ruby ruby, precious stone, the transparent red variety of corundum, found chiefly in Myanmar, ...
- KidVideos: Roadtrip: Ruby Falls and Rock City - Kid video of Roadtrip: Ruby Falls and Rock City.|Videos for Kids...by Kids
- Jack Ruby - Biography of Jack Ruby, Assassin of Lee Harvey Oswald
- Nanette Fabray - Nanette Fabray (Ruby Nanette Fabares) actress, singer Born: 10/27/1920 Birthplace: San Diego, ...
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy - John Fitzgerald Kennedy Born: 5/29/1917 Birthplace: Brookline, Mass. John Fitzgerald Kennedy was ...