(1 syl.). A game at cards, now called slamm; also
playing a trump, when one cannot follow suit.
“A swaggerer is one that plays at ruffre, from whence he took the
denomination of ruffyn.”
J. H. (Gent.) Satirical Epigrams, 1619.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ruffe from Fact Monster:
- Charles Ruff - Charles Ruff Charles Frederick Carson Ruff lawyer Born: 8/1/1939 Birthplace: Cleveland, Ohio ...
- Eve Jeffers - Biography of Eve Jeffers, "The First Lady" of Ruff Ryders Entertainment
- Pomeranian - Pomeranian Pomeranian , breed of small, sturdy toy dog descended from the sledge dogs of Iceland ...
- Pekingese - Pekingese Pekingese , breed of small toy dog developed over many centuries in China. It stands from ...
- vulture - vulture vulture, common name for large birds of prey of temperate and tropical regions. The Old ...