(St.) or St. Regulus, a monk of Patrae in Achaia,
is the real saint of Scotland. He was the first to colonise its
metropolitan see, and to convert the inhabitants (370). The name
Killrule (Cella Reguli) perpetuates this fact. St. Andrew
superseded the Achaean.
But I have solemn vows to pay. ...
To far St. Andrew's bound,
Within the ocean-cave to pray,
Where good St. Rule his holy lay
Sung to the billow's sound.
Sir Walter Scott: Marmion, i. 20.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rule from Fact Monster:
- Rules That Needed to be Broken - Rules That Needed to be Broken Rule changes this century that shaped the way players play and fans ...
- Beacon Street Girls—The Rules - Great advice on life from the Beacon Street Girls
- gag rules - gag rules gag rules, in parliamentary procedure, rules limiting or prohibiting free debate on a ...
- slide rule - slide rule slide rule, instrument for making numerical computations and readings, the results of ...
- municipal home rule - home rule, municipal home rule, municipal, system adopted in many states of the United States by ...