A silver coin = 2s. English (a florin). A lac of rupees =
10,000 sterling. Since the depreciation of silver the value of a rupee
is considerably less.
In 1870 an ounce of silver was worth 60 1/2d.; in 1876 it fell to
49d.; to-day (May, 1895) it is quoted between 58d. and 59d.; and at
New York at 673/8d. per ounce.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rupee from Fact Monster:
- Currency by Country - Currency by Country Afghanistan Afghani Albania Lek Algeria Dinar Andorra Euro Angola New Kwanza ...
- Money Around the World - Money Around the World Would you like to pay for your purchase in camels or cocoa beans? Perhaps ...
- SOUTHERN ASIA - Southern Asia, home to over one-fifth of the world’s population, is bordered by the sea to the south and the Himalayan mountains to the north. The reg
- Sikh Wars - Sikh Wars Sikh Wars (1845–49), two conflicts preceding the British annexation of the Punjab. ...
- Seychelles - Information on Seychelles — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.